Sunday, July 24, 2011

Running Apps

Ok all you smartphone owners!  There is actually a productive way to put that expensive machine you haul around with you everywhere (yes I mean besides checking Facebook and Twitter).  


There are a bunch of apps out there that track your runs via map, mileage, speed and then, post them online for you, as well as a handful of other features.  I've recently downloaded a few with the "Pro" upgrades (thanks to Amazon Android App Market they were free), so they had some additional features.  Now I just need to figure out which one I like the best.


One of my favorite bloggers Robert Scoble  recently posted a similar thought on his Google+ stream (or whatever the equivalent to status is),  and got 141 comments!  Now I'm not expecting to get that response lol, we only have 8 followers! But those comments got me thinking, what is the best running app out there?  


As of now I have the following apps on my phone:  
adidas miCoach
CardioTrainer Pro
iMapMyRun
JogTracker Pro
My Tracks
RunKeeper
runtastic GPS Coach


I used CardioTrainer Pro on the run this morning, it actually stopped tracking the first half mile, so I was a bit irritated about that.  However, it does have an integrated music function which is pretty cool.  Unfortunately for me, 99% of my music is stored in a cloud, and very little on my devise, so this function is only slightly helpful.  It also has a coach that will let you know your pace and how far you've run so you don't have to look at your screen.  My favorite feature though is that you can schedule workouts and if you don't do them, the program yells at you via a notification at the top of your screen.  Also it tells you how many calories you've burned in the last seven days on your screen via the notification bar.


iMapMyRun was the first running app I ever downloaded.  I've used it the last couple of runs, and haven't been disappointed with it yet.  It keeps a map of where you've run (which is helpful for when you get turned around) and 


adidas miCoach was downloaded for this post.  So far I'm liking all the information you need to give it.  And you can even have Reggie Bush as your trainer!  I picked the female, because I'm pretty sure Reggie wouldn't work out too well for me.  There is also a website for more details of your workouts.  So far I'm a fan.


I'll get back to you about the rest later!  I want to give them all at least one go before I make final decisions.

Report card coming soon!



~Cassi

No comments:

Post a Comment